Moroccan Kefta Kabob
Moroccan Kefta Kabob
A welcome sight in the souks around Marrakesh, these small, simple kefta are a quick way to enjoy spicy grilled flavor. Can be served as-is, with some spices and tomato sauce drizzled on top, or in a sandwich.
- 1 pound ground beef (or lamb, or a combination of the two)
- 1 Pieces medium onion, chopped very fine or grated
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves (especially excellent with lamb)
- 3 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3-5 drops lemon essential oil
- 1-2 drops turmeric essential oil
- 1-2 drops coriander essential oil
- 1 drop cilantro essential oil
- 1 drop black pepper essential oil
- Thaw meat
- Chop onion - fine but not minced
- Mix dry and fresh spices in separate bowl
- Mix essential oils into olive oil in small glass or stainless steel bowl, whisk together
- In a large mixing bowl: mix all ingredients (I use my hands with food grade gloves on – gloves optional). Start with meat and mix in this order: olive oil and essential oil mixture, dry and fresh spices, chopped onion. At each addition, mix the ground meat so that the spice, onion, etc is fully mixed through before adding the next. Optional – refrigerate for 1 hour (up to 24 hours) to let spices steep or prepare ahead.
- Take small amounts of kefta and shape into cylinders / sausage shapes, squeezing to mold onto skewer or into small oval balls or form around kabob skewers
- For meatball shapes: In skillet, start on med-high heat to sear each side. Use tongs to turn. Reduce heat to med and cook 8-10 min. Do not allow to dry – they cook quickly.
- Note for skewers. Soak bamboo skewers; the meat mixture does not form easily to steel skewers. Form meat mixture around skewers (do not try to form and then skewer, just form oval shapes around a bamboo skewer). Sear on each side, turning with a spatula and tongs. Cook on the upper rack if you have one or lower the heat for 8 min. They cook quickly, don’t allow them to dry.
Serve immediately or store and re-heat. They re-heat very nicely. Set kebabs on the same platter as Persian Rice, over the rice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!